I used to bake a dessert nearly every week, but I’ve grown tired of cupcakes, pies, brownies, cookies, and the like. I’ve always considered my family’s diet healthier than most, and we’ve continued that trend into 2012, modifying it a bit by cutting back on baked treats. My alternative, and our family’s new favorite dessert, is lemon cream with blackberries. It’s so lemony, perfectly sweet, and made with only four ingredients. It’s quick to throw together, easy to adjust, and can be made with whatever berries you prefer. It’s a lighter dessert that satisfies the sweet tooth without making you feel heavy or guilty.
LEMON CREAM WITH BLACKBERRIES
Downloadable PDF of Lemon Cream with Blackberries
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the following, stirring until smooth:
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3-4 Tablespoons sugar, adjusting to your preference
- Thaw 1 cup frozen blackberries in microwave using microwave safe bowl
- Divide most of the blackberries (reserving a few) evenly between two clear glasses
- Top the blackberries with the lemon cream, dividing it evenly between the glasses
- Spoon the reserved blackberries over the top, letting the juice drip down the lemon cream
- These can be made ahead of time and chilled in the refrigerator until ready to eat, or you can serve them immediately.
The lemon zest and juice add a wonderful fresh, brightness to the cream. The Greek yogurt turns very smooth and creamy with the lemon juice whipped in, making it taste like fresh lemon cream once you’ve added just the right amount of sugar. I tried it with thawed frozen strawberries last night. It was good, but I prefer the blackberries. They’re so dark, adding a beautiful color contrast to the cream, and they’re not too sweet or too tart. I think tonight I’ll be trying this with blueberries! Blueberries and lemon are always a tasty combination…
While I haven’t been blogging much (a two-month hiatus!), follow me on Pinterest to see all the recipes I’ve been collecting from around the web and the ones I’ve tried!
Are you eating healthier foods in 2012? We’ve added legume night to our weekly menu. Last week I made these vegetarian “Snobby Joes” recipe from The Post Punk Kitchen and they were awesome served on steamed, buttered whole wheat hamburger buns.
What are your favorite healthier desserts? It’s fair to say this lemon cream with berries has become my new favorite. Or sometimes I simply want a glass of chocolate milk for dessert :-)
Any new favorite health websites or blogs in 2012? I have been enjoying the posts by Heather Morgan at her Muffin Top Makeover blog. She’s hosting a virtual Healthy Living Book Club with a different book each month in 2012. Check it out!
~Ingredients to nourish the body put together in ways to nourish the soul to share with family and friends to nourish the heart~